Meetup API Changes - Announcement 14 June 2019
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ...
The information below will apply if your club has events displayed on or copied to Meetup.com from a separate club web site. This includes whether your club uses an Agoria web site, has a custom build web site or uses a CMS like Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal.
This information concerns an announcement by Meetup.com on Fri 14 June 2019 about two important updates to their Method of Use and Terms of Service for the Meetup API.
The term API means "Application Program Interface" and refers to the way that unrelated software applications exchange information between themselves.
SO PLEASE NOTE THESE CHANGES WILL AFFECT YOUR CLUB IF YOU HAVE ...
1. AN AGORIA SITE DISPLAYING MEETUP EVENTS FROM OR COPYING EVENT DETAILS TO A MEETUP GROUP
2. A CUSTOM BUILD WEB SITE DISPLAYING MEETUP EVENT LISTS (I believe this will apply to Manchester IVC and maybe a few others)
3. A WORDPRESS OR OTHER CMS BASED WEB SITE (e.g. Druple or Joomla) LINKED TO MEETUP EVENTS (I believe this will apply to Thames Valley IVC and maybe a few others)
The following part of the update notice issued by Meetup is probably the most import part of the change to Meetup Terms of Service being introduced from 15 August 2019 ...
" ... anyone who wants to apply for API access through OAuth will need to have a Meetup Pro account in order to do so."
This means that Agoria (and any other web site CMS system) that makes use of any of the Meetup API would not only need to implement OAuth access for the new Meetup API ... but would also only work with a Meetup Pro group
This therefore means that the cost to be able to use the Meetup API will rise sharply to $30 per month because of the need to upgrade to a Meetup Pro group that will be required.
Our current understanding of the main effects of this change to the Meetup API are as follows:
FROM 15 AUGUST 2019:
1. Existing Meetup API calls for standard Meetup groups will cease working on 15 August 2019.
2. Clubs requiring the API will need to UPGRADE to a MEETUP PRO account from US $30 per month per group
3. Clubs requiring the API will need to implement OAuth login authentication in their web site
4. Clubs requiring the API will have to pay Meetup for OAuth login credentials to enable their login authentication.
5. Clubs requiring the API must upgrade to using the Meetup API version 3 by 15 August (if they have not already done so).
THE EFFECTS ON AGORIA BASED WEB SUITES
As a director in ActivityForum Ltd (which supplies Agoria), we have noted that there will hence forth be a much higher cost associated with making use of the Meetup.com API. This is because of the new requirement for a Meetup Pro account in order to use the facility. As a result, we are also expecting that there will be a significant reduction in the need for the Meetup API amongst those IVC groups that are currently using the Agoria software.
It has therefore been decided that it would not be worthwhile for ActivityForum Ltd to invest the time and effort required to convert Agoria to meet the above requirements within the short time scale allowed.
THIS MEANS THAT THE MEETUP API EVENT READ AND WRITE FACILITIES IN AGORIA WILL BE RETIRED FROM GENERAL USE BEFORE AUGUST 15 2019.
ActivityForum Ltd would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to IVC Clubs and members that make use of the Meetup API in Agoria.
The AIVC Committee are not experts on the updates to the Meetup API technology. So if you have any technical questions on how the changes to the Meetup API may affect your own club web site, please direct these to the builder of your web site or to the Meetup Help Centre at the following web address:
This information is available on the AIVC Web site at www.ivc.org.uk in the Home section under the menu item Meetup API Changes - 2019. It is also being included in the Summer 2019 copy of Newslines for distibution to all IVC members.